Before You Build
Make sure you have installed the Platform SDK and had follow all the instructions to enable compiling Win32 API programs from here: http://msdn.microsoft.com/vstudio/express/visualc/usingpsdk
DirectX is optional but should probably be installed the same way you installed the Platfrom SDK. That is followed Step 3 and Step 4 on the usingpsdk page except with substituting the DirectX directories.
How to build SDL with Visual C++ 2005 Express Edition
2. Unpack VisualC.zip into the current folder. If you accidentally
- create a subfolder, move the VisualC folder in the subfolder back into the top level of the SDL-1.2 folder.
3. Open the SDL solution in the VisualC directory.
4. Allow Visual C++ to convert the project to the latest version.
5. Remove the Version.rc resource from the project.
Creating a Project with SDL
1. Create a project as a Win32 Application.
2. Create a C++ file for your project.
3. Set the C runtime to Multi-threaded DLL(/MDd) in the menu: Project|Properties|C/C++ tab|Code Generation|Runtime Library.
4. Add the SDL include directory to your list of includes in the menu: Project|Properties|C/C++ tab|General|Additional include directories .
5. The "include directory" I am referring to is the include folder within the main SDL directory, eg C:\SDL\include
6. Copy the following files into your Project directory:
7. Copy the following files into your Project directory, and add them to your Project as well:
- SDLmain.lib (To add them to your project in the menu: Project|Properties|Linker|Input|Additional Dependencies")
Distributing/deploying your exe
Please note that executables from the new Visual Studio won't run on Windows 98 anymore. See separate FAQ question in this regards.